Archive Calendar

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

20/09/18: Youth arrested for putting needles in strawberries

CaptureA young person has admitted to putting needles in strawberries in the first arrest since the food scare began, according to Australian police.

New South Wales police acting assistant commissioner Stuart Smith said in a press conference on Wednesday (Sep 19) that the youth in question was arrested in the last few days.

He was apparently performing a copycat prank and will be dealt with under the youth cautioning system.

NSW Police Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith addressing media queries at a press conference on Sep 19.

The first cases emerged in Queensland and in the most serious incident, a man was taken to hospital last week after eating a strawberry that contained a needle.

Reports of contaminated fruit have now spread to Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia, BBC said.

Police across the country are now dealing with more than 100 cases of contaminated fruit, ABC reported on its website. However, authorities believe many are hoax or copycat incidents.

“There are only three products at the centre of the investigation,” said Mr Smith, referring to cases involving an apple and bananas.

Comments are closed.