Archive Calendar

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

05/12/17: More than 100 down with excruciating illness at five-star hotel

16996448_1365514036839394_7475616086498983064_n

Tourists have accused staff at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort, in Egypt, of being poorly trained in hygiene

More than 100 holidaymakers are now suing a five-star hotel after allegedly seeing a poo floating in the swimming pool.

The furious tourists are suing top travel firm First Choice after getting sick at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort in Egypt.

One family of 16 claim their holiday was ruined after being struck down with stomach upsets, according to The Sun.

The hotel chefs are also said to have handled raw meat and other foods using the same kitchen gloves.

Among the 26 travellers taking legal action are Jessica, 35, and Andrew Whittington, 39, who were enjoying a week-long stay for their honeymoon in June when they say they were struck down with severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

The couple, from West Sussex, travelled with their two children, Max, 12, and Mia, 5, and say the trip of a lifetime was “ruined”.

Two days into her honeymoon, newlywed Jessica began to suffer from excruciating stomach cramps and eventually put on an IV drip.

She claims she has video footage of chefs handling raw meat, cooked meat and salad all while wearing the same gloves.

Jessica said: “Andrew, Max and I all felt unwell early into the honeymoon and unfortunately we still continue to suffer from our symptoms. As soon as we got to our room I found it quite dirty and uncomfortable, and sadly the holiday went downhill from there.

“I have travelled to Egypt eight times and never fallen ill before. The staff were pleasant to interact with, they just need hygiene training.

“This was meant to be our honeymoon, a dream holiday. We saved up for two years to afford it, but it ended up being a nightmare that we still haven’t recovered from.”

Jessica also said the family’s room was “dirty” with hairs in the corners of the room and dried urine around the bottom of the toilet.

The 34-year-old, who travelled to the resort with her husband, Timothy, and their two children, Theo and Charlie, also received medical attention at the resort’s clinic.

Abby said: “We didn’t really feel like we had a holiday as we came back feeling so much worse than when we left. It was probably the hardest holiday I have ever been on.

“We only went to the beach twice in the entire two weeks we were there and if it hadn’t been for the kids, we would have just stayed in the room for the entire holiday.

“I am not surprised we are not the only group of holidaymakers who have fallen ill at this hotel this year. All we want to know now is what caused our illness and ruined our holiday, and could more have been done to protect the guests of the hotel.”

Some of those who suffered illness are allegedly still suffering from their symptoms a month after returning from holiday.

Nichola Blackburn, an international personal injury specialist for Irwin Mitchell, said: “We continue to receive many similar reports that people have fallen ill while staying at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort.”

Speaking in July, she said: “Gastroenteritis can have serious, long-term health implications for those affected.

“Many of our clients are giving us similar descriptions of their time at the resort and the problems that they faced, including incidents of faeces in the swimming pool, which some of our clients witnessed and believe were not dealt with properly.

“We would encourage anyone who stayed at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort this year and has since experienced gastric symptoms, to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity.

“We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help with our investigations.”

A First Choice spokesperson said: “As these cases are now subject to legal proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment.”


Leave a Reply